Our Sponsors

Monday, June 21, 2010

Personal Seed Bank for 2012


In February 2008, Norway announced the opening of the "doomsday" seed vault. Built deep within an Arctic mountain in the remote Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard, this vault was built to protect millions of food crop seeds from climate change, wars and the coming man-made and natural disasters. Realizing that coming change is inevitable, officials from around the world have described the doomsday vault in terms such as “a Noah's Ark for securing biological diversity for future generations”, and “the frozen Garden of Eden”.

I personally see the construction of this seed vault to be a grand idea. Not only will the seeds provide select individuals with future food sources, but it also serves as an official acknowledgement that the world governments absolutely, with out a doubt know a global disaster is coming. What concerns me most is that the millions of frozen seeds housed within the doomsday seed vault will not be enough to adequately provide food to all whom survives the coming near destruction of human life. Also, how will these seeds be distributed and divided, and will we, as described by BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg, “the small people” even be consider worthy to receive any of the seeds?

As it turns out, there are nearly 1,500 large seed banks owned and operated by organizations and governments around the world. In addition, personal seed banks purchased and stored by individuals to provide long term food sources for their own families are at an all time high. The importance of these personal seed banks has been promoted and encouraged by such prominent personalities as Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity who have stated that food seeds will eventually be more valuable then gold.

Like many of you, I am now stockpiling food, water and other disaster preparedness supplies. I do however realize that my supplies will only last a short while, and that a long-term solution for continuing survival is necessary. With that in mind, I decided that I too need a personal seed bank.

After much research and not being a gardener myself, I came to realize that not all seeds are suitable for long term storage and viability. You can’t just buy paper packages of seeds now and expect them to last long enough to produce the amount of food you and your family will needs in the future. Therefore, the best possible solution for me was the prepackaged Emergency Seed Bank.



Although there are a number of personal seed banks available now, I chose the Emergency Seed Bank for a variety of reasons. First and foremost was the price in comparison to the number of seeds I received. Like most of you, I am not rich and wanted the most seeds for my money. Next was the packaging. The seeds I received were packaged in a re-sealable, triple-layer, Mylar, airtight bag like the ones used in the doomsday vault. The individual packages are then put in a metal military grade, waterproof container for easy storage. Lastly, I liked the continuing support that this company provides in the form of newsletters, videos and how-to materials.

I’m not sure if there will ever come a time when I will actually have to use these seeds, but based on everything that is going on in the world today, I may need them sooner then I think.

Learn more about the Emergency Seed Bank

No comments: